HLC Self Study
Chapter 5 Graphic

Estrella Mountain Operational Budget

As the figure below illustrates, the MCCCD/Estrella Mountain General Fund Budget has more than doubled (59.2 percent) over the past 10 years. This increase can be attributed to Estrella Mountain’s consistent enrollment growth.  Historically, between 2001-2002 and 2010-2011, the College has experienced an 8 percent annualized growth rate in credit full-time student enrollment. 

Figure 30

The College’s commitment to learning can be seen through its resource allocation in the General Fund budget (Fund 1). Instruction receives the largest portion of the Estrella Mountain General Fund budget (52 percent), followed by academic support (15 percent). 

Figure 31

As Figure 31 and 32 demonstrate, personnel expenses including salaries and benefits account for the largest portion of costs to the College, with the greatest percentage coming from the instructional areas. Personnel expenses account for 81 percent of budget, with the remaining 19 percent left for the operation of the College. Striving for efficiency in operational areas, the College currently maintains and operates its facilities ($4.97 per square foot) below the national average ($5.09 per square foot).

Figure 32

Estrella Mountain Community College utilizes its human resources effectively. Over the last 10 years, the number of full-time employees at Estrella Mountain Community College has increased by 67.8 positions, from 159.3 to 227.1 employees. The number of full-time faculty positions increased by 35.5 during this timeframe. What follows is an outline of Estrella Mountain Community College budgeted positions in FY2001-2002 and FY2010-2011:

Figure 33